Tuesday, August 21, 2007

I know! I'll call my cooking show, "Everyday Mediocrity!"

In a few seconds, I will share with you a recipe for a medium-good stir fry. With pictures! Get excited.

But first, I will share with you something decidedly un-mediocre. And by share, I mean reccommend to you. This isn't Oprah, where everyone in the audience gets one of whatever I think is cool. And if it were, I would never give out PT Cruisers. Just so you know.

It is my latest musical obsession - Sara Bareilles' "Little Voice." This CD rocks. It's great music to commute to, to cook to, to knit fuzzy steering wheel covers to. I'm not sure how to describe it other than to say if Michelle Branch, John Mayer, and Fiona Apple had a musical threesome, Sara B. might be the result. It's pop-y and blues-y and soulful and catchy. To some, this may sound repulsive. To me, it's awesome in melodic form. Listen and love.

And now, for the goods.

Hairnet Optional: Ginger-Lime Beef Stir Fry
Serves 2
Adapted from Everyday Food Magazine (I forget which issue)


The mise en place, French for "shit you need to cook this dish"



2 cups cooked white rice (I like the Uncle Ben's Boil-in-a-Bag kind, because I'm classy like that)
1/2 pound sirloin steak, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. vegetable oil
6 oz. snow peas
4 scallions, chopped, with white and green parts separated
1 Tbsp. grated peeled ginger
pinch of red pepper flakes
juice of 1 lime
salt and pepper

1. Place sliced steak in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with flour and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.


2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the steak for 1-2 minutes until browned on one side (not cooked all the way through.)


3. Add peas, white part of scallions, ginger, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 cup of water to skillet. Add more salt and pepper if desired. Cook 3-4 more minutes ('til steak is cooked through), turn off stove, and stir in lime juice and green part of scallions.


4. Serve over cooked rice.

Addendum: So, the more I look at the picture above, the more it disgusts me. I know everyone loves a visual aid, but honestly, doesn't the steak look foul there? All gray and Mystery Meat-y, like it should be served up by an obese woman named Sal in a hairnet. Ugh. I promise it doesn't taste as awful as it looks. But, if you never attempt this stir fry, I wouldn't blame you.

No comments: