Tuesday, October 2, 2007

On being shamelessly materialistic and superficial


I was really productive this weekend. I managed to write three papers and line up the professors I want to write me recommendations. Boo ya.

I was also in a very autumn-y mood. I was all pumpkins, hayrides, sharpened pencils, leaves (which seem to have gone straight to brown this year - where are the reds and yellows?), apples and cinnamon smells. I even baked a very comfort foodish cheeseburger pie (gross in theory, yummy in practice) that perhaps I will share later this week.

To celebrate above mentioned productivity and the onset of autumn, I went shopping. Naturally. After emerging triumphantly from Bath and Body Works clutching my new Harry Slatkin Pumpkin candle, I stopped by the Chanel counter on a whim. Okay, not on a whim. I'd been reading about this new fall shade of nail polish, Tulipe Noire, and wanted to see what the fuss was about. I asked the lady behind the counter (Name: Char, very odd eyebrows 15 shades darker than her bleach blonde pixie cut) if she had any, and she informed me that she only had one bottle left - the one in the display. Which, of course, made it immediately ten times more attractive to me. That and the fact that the color itself is gorgeous - burgundy with gold swirls, very chi-chi looking nail polish. So I sucked it up and spent 20 big ones on a tiny bottle of polish.

Herein lies the gross part: as my dear friend Char was ringing me up, she actually got a phone call from someone inquiring whether she had any Tulipe Noire left. And as Char said, "Sorry, I just pulled the last one and I am selling it to a customer right now," my stomach leapt a little with joy and triumph. I am a sick person.

But I have some pretty hot nail polish, in a deep shade of exclusivity. Shazam.

No comments: