Monday, December 17, 2007

Whatever, soup is way more interesting.

Not the prettiest one at the prom, but...leave me alone.


Here is some onion soup that I screwed up (recipe called for chicken stock, I used beef because I was thinking French Onion, not Cream of Onion, etc. etc. but it turned out okay nonetheless, maybe because I added noticeable amounts of wine for shits and giggles.)

Just had a meeting with myself, and I promise never to say the word "shits" when discussing foodstuffs again.

Cream of French Onion Soup
Recipe accidentally adapted from The Cook's Encyclopedia of Four Ingredient Cooking

1/2 cup unsalted sweet cream butter
2 1/2 pounds of yellow onions (about 1 large and 2 medium)
3 1/2 cups beef stock
1/2 cup of light cream
1/2 cup of red wine*

1. Slice the onions and cry harder than when Leo died in Titanic and you went to see it with your best friend seven times in the movie theater and cried every. single. time. like your seventh grade world was ending as you knew it. Go ahead. Judge me.
2. Melt 6 tablespoons of the butter in a large pan on the stove. Set about 1/3 of the sliced onions aside and add the rest to the pan. Stir so they get coated in the melty butter.
3. Cover the pan and cook the onions on EXTREMELY gentle heat for thirty minutes. Don't want those babies to burn. They should be very soft and tender. That sounds dirty, but it's not.
4. Add the stock and the wine to the cooked onions and some salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes, then remove from heat.
5. Let the soup cool (or if you're like me, be a renegade and just DON'T), then put it in a blender or food processor and pulse that baby until it's smooth. This will make it very creamy. And good. Return it to its original pan.
6. Meanwhile, in another pan, melt the remaining butter and cook the remaining onions over low heat until they are soft but not brown and are a golden yellow color.
7. Add the cream to the soup and reheat it gently until it is hot but not boiling. Add the other cooked onions and season with salt and pepper to taste, then serve.

*I used Pinot Noir because it was in my hand, uncorked, being consumed straight from the bottle, and I was like, hey, why don't I just pour a little, okay crap, a lot into this soup that I am cooking? Judge me a second time. Dare you.

Boo ya.

No comments: