Thursday, January 24, 2008

Couscous with salmon and other stuff. Postal workers. Scott Baio.

I'm taking this Web writing class for credit, and my professor said to put "taggable" words in your post titles. So, when people search for "salmon + postal worker + Scott Baio," they may come across this. If that person is you, welcome. Stay a while. Let's talk seafood and Teen Beat cover fixtures of the late 1970s.

Here are some good things about today: I had an interview at my top choice law school that went swimmingly, and I went to the post office and the postal worker was nice to me! A government employee! Happy, courteous, polite. I was flabbergasted, like going to summer camp and finding out the girl I hate is actually MY IDENTICAL TWIN.

Also, I don't really have anything to say about Scott Baio other than that he's a little bit gross.

Now, some food. The salmon came out crap, so I'm not even giving you the recipe. Just cook some salmon in some fashion and put it on the couscous and I guarantee you it will be better than mine. The couscous was lovely, though - the mint makes it taste so fresh, and the raisins really plump up and get juicy, while the almonds lend a nice crunch. It reminds me of the couscous I used to get at Monoprix (the French Target, with groceries) for lunch. Je l'aime beaucoup!

Couscous with Raisins, Mint, and Almonds
Adapted from Food Network

1 cup raisins
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 tsp. cinnamon
salt to taste
10 oz. couscous (I used one box of Near East plain)
2 cups chicken broth or stock
1/3 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped

1. Combine raisins, butter, chicken broth, cinnamon, and salt to taste in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Stir in couscous, cover, and remove from heat. Allow couscous to sit for five minutes.
3. Uncover, fluff with fork, then stir in almonds and mint. Serve warm or cold.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

at first I saw this post and I was like wait, salmon? scott baio? huh? But the cous cous looks good. I love that near east stuff... And I remember wandering into Monoprix and thinking wow, even a simple french store is ten times better than a simple english store :)

Kate said...

Thanks, and apologies for the randomness.

Monoprix...my god. I can't get over that place. Did you know they have an entire aisle for yogurt? Nuts.

Anonymous said...

ah yes, gotta love the french. I remember laughing when I found the "junk food aisle" there. all the fake processed "american" food was hiding in the back on these tiny shelves in a corner. and yet there was huge aisles dedicated to yogurt and fruit and cheese.