Friday, February 29, 2008

Little House not-exactly-on-the-prairie

Drywall was not Pa's forte, but Ma tolerated him anyway.

Well, my living room no longer resembles Kabul so much as an episode of PBS' Frontier House. They tore down the remaining drywall clinging for dear life on our living room ceiling, and now when I walk downstairs in the morning and see the rough wood beams I half expect to sit down to a breakfast of salt pork and biscuits with Pa, right before I go feed the livestock and wash my laundry in a stream.

We're in the process of replacing our mattresses with straw-filled pallets, and building an outhouse in the backyard. Indoor plumbin' don't seem quite right, somehow.

They also kind of smashed a hole in our kitchen ceiling, you know, to just kind of see what was goin' on up there. I'm guessing just for fun, because so far no one seems to have reached any conclusions as to what the bejeezus actually caused hundreds of pounds of plaster to detach itself from our living room ceiling.

Suffice it to say, I'll be staying out of the kitchen for awhile while repairs are going on, so you must go elsewhere if you are looking for food and recipes. Although, let's be honest, I highly doubt anyone considers this site a stellar alimentary resource anyway.

I do want to give a shout out to Golden House Chinese Carryout in Bethesda. You all have kept me alive for the past 48 hours, and for that, I salute you.

Photo credit: Yahoo! Movies

No comments: