Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Remember that other shoe? Well, yeah. It dropped.

I remember having a conversation with my mother a couple of months ago, right after I found out I got un-waitlisted at the law school I most wanted to attend. I told her that everything in my life thus far had been so nearly close to perfect that I felt perpetually nervous, as if something bad must happen soon, just because no one should have it easy all the time. I mean, I'd always accomplished what I set out to do, my family is only very mildly dysfunctional, nothing had ever really been withheld from me, and even the small slips and stumbles only managed to make me a better person. This scared me shitless. No one's supposed to have it easy all the time, right?


The answer is, "ya damn right." While I would in no way classify the past month as anywhere near catastrophic and is only a minor grievance compared to what many people deal with, it has been, in my world at least, a doozy. 

I found out that my boyfriend of a year (The Brit) actually was leading a double life, and had multiple other girlfriends and a fiancee back in England the entire time he was dating me. He's actually a textbook sociopath.

If I went into detail about all the messed up things I learned about the person I thought I knew and loved, we'd be here all day, so I'll spare you the details. And while I normally wouldn't share this much personal info with strangers, I felt since I was missing so long, if anyone bothers to check this thing, they might be looking for an explanation. 

I was putting myself back together. And applying to go on Oprah. 

No comments: