Sunday, December 9, 2007

I'm shipping off...to find my wooden leg.


Was in Boston for the past couple of days visiting law schools, freezing my tuchus off, attending an office holiday party that wasn't mine, and you know, generally avoiding the mountains of work and term papers that accompany this time of year. Which, come to think of it, I'm still avoiding. I got up at 9:30 this morning ready to buckle down and just do it, and it's now 10 minutes until 5 p.m., and I have yet to write a word. No matter.

This post is about the best meal I've ever had in my life. Seriously. It was at Troquet, which is a wine bar on Boston Common. I don't know if it was the snow falling outside, being in an unknown city, the three glasses of port I drank before I went to dinner, or just the Heavenly Bed™ at the Westin Copley Square, but I was feeling damn festive, and this restaurant was just icing on the cake.


The restaurant is very much about the wine, and each course has an accompanying flight of wines to compliment it. The wines can be ordered individually in 2 oz. or 4 oz. servings, or you can order the tasting flight - one of each to go with your dish. I had the duo of foie gras as an appetizer, which was served with toasted brioche, and an accompanying flight of Sauternes and Muscat. It was absolute perfection. For dinner I had veal with polenta and swiss chard and various Merlots. I try not to eat veal if I can help it, but it was so tempting and was perfectly cooked. The wines it was served with were a bit overpowered by the dish, I felt. I much preferred the Marquis-Philips Shiraz that Date let me sip. For dessert we had six different cheeses - by this time the wine had definitely kicked in and I don't remember the names of any of them. There goes my career as a restaurant critic. In any case, the wait staff was so attentive and so helpful, the food was out of this world, and the setting was spectacular. Go there.

No comments: